The Museum of Empordà.
The Museum of Empordà conserves one of the most outstanding art collections of the region. Created in 1946, the history of its collections goes back to late 19th century, originally based on loans from the Prado Museum and from donations and legacies from illustrious Empordà figures. The current building was constructed in 1971 and conceived as a museum of archaeology, history and art. Today, the Museum offers the public a historical interpretation of its collections and an opening up to contemporary art.
The permanent exhibition at the Museum of Empordà displays archaeology collections (funerary objects, Iberian, Attic and Italic pottery), medieval sculpture (Monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes), baroque painting (loans from the Prado Museum: Ribera, Mengs, Mignard), painting and sculpture of the 19th and 20th centuries (Sorolla, Casas, Mir, Nonell, Gargallo, Casanovas, Cuixart, Ponç, Sunyer, Tàpies) and Empordà art (Blanquet, Dalí, Reig, Vallès, Santos Torroella).
In addition to this, the Museum of Empordà is a multidisciplinary institution that organises temporary exhibitions and activities aimed at the conservation and dissemination of local and regional cultural heritage, with a special focus on experimentation and reflection of contemporary artistic creation.